Thursday, July 17, 2008

I won a contest!

Woo-hoo! (doing a little happy dance)

Over on Craftster.org they have monthly challenges... & I just won challenge # 29 which was to Craft your Childhood Hero!
I entered my 'Ode to Childhood' Treasure Table....which pays homage to some of the most wonderful children's book authors & illustrators that I admire.

This was my entry:

Ok...so here goes...My mother read to me a lot when I was a child…so it only stands to reason that my childhood heroes were & still are the glorious authors and illustrators of children’s books. Here is my table representing 4 of my favorites: Dr. Seuss & The Cat in the Hat, Maurice Sendak & Where the Wild Things Are, A. A. Milne & Winnie the Pooh, and Beatrix Potter & Peter Rabbit.

The legs of the table are carved from cedar posts and painted with acrylic paints & then sprayed with a clear coat to protect them.

The top of the table is home to all of my childhood treasures…some of which were thrown away by my mother during several of her cleaning ‘raids’ in my room….and then secretly rescued from the trash. I remember her calling it my ‘junk’…;).

I still treasure it…and get a warm fuzzy feeling when I look at the things inside.

The top of the table has an inlaid piece of .25” plexiglass…which can be lifted out for adding future treasures. Please let me know what you think...this is one of my most personal creations that I hold dearest to my heart...so comments are really appreciated! Thank you so much!



The prize is an amazing book by Aimee Ray entitled 'Doodle Stitching'...I love to do embroidery...so that book will come in very handy! Thank you Aimee for donating such an awesome prize!

1 comment:

sukigirl said...

I saw your amazing table over at craftster, it really is one of the coolest things I've ever seen!
I'm blown away most by those legs!
I love who you chose Cat, Max, Peter and Tigger....they are my favourite stories too.
I wonder if you could sometime post some more about how you did it?
Cheers!