Monday, June 8, 2009

Take Time Everyday to Explore Books with Your Kids

I've found that the time I spend reading books to my kids & taking them to the library has been excellent quality time. These quiet times have really helped to nurture their imaginations & creativity & love of books...as well as being a great way to wind down after a hectic day!

Sometimes I read to them, sometimes we just sit and look at the gorgeous illustrations, and sometimes they attempt to read to me...but since they cannot really read yet, they make up stories to go along with the pictures & we have the cutest conversations!

A book to a preschooler is like a key that can unlock all sorts of goodies going through a child's mind!

Just this past weekend I had a lovely talk with my daughter after reading, "Guess How Much I Love You." She pointed out the moon to me and announced that the moon is too high up in the sky and that she cannot reach it. I asked her if she could reach it by standing on a chair & she shook her head no. Then she thought for a second & said, "I know!" ...holding up her little finger and raising an eyebrow like she'd just come up with the best solution ever... "We could build stairs!"

Please take some time to sit down with your kids & read...because who knows what they will think of next & you'll be glad you did! If you have some great books to recommend to us that your kids love...we would be so glad for you to share them with us!

Here are just a few books we really love:

The Color Kittens by Margaret Wise Brown...and we prefer the one illustrated by the Provensens
Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney ...illustrated by Anita Jeram
The Snowbelly Family Of Chillyville Inn by Cheryl Hawkinsons
The Cat in The Hat by Dr. Seuss
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
THE POLAR EXPRESS by Chris Van Allsburg (my boy is into trains...so this is naturally a favorite)

2 comments:

Julie said...

This is the way my children learned to read! Lots and lots of time spent reading to them!

CandiWare said...

That is soo cute I loved Lizzy's Lion as a young girl.