Saturday, August 1, 2009

Going to a Birthday Party!!!

My kiddos are at the age where they're beginning to be invited to birthday parties of their friends. This is an exciting time for them...and a little different from our family parties & gatherings.

The dilema I've come up against is the present! I had no idea that accepting an invitation to fun n games & cake would bring about stress for me due to not knowing what to take as a gift! How much should I spend is the least of my worries... because I have no idea what toys or games the birthday child already has...not to mention the fear of someone else showing up with the exact same gift as us! How awful would a child feel if their gift wasn't the only special one of a kind item they thought it would be?


My solution for this is to either make something myself...or buy something handmade for them! I decided to make something personal for the birthday girl! She's quite the girly-girl and loves anything pink, sparkly, rainbows, & kittens! During one of our play dates, I took a cute photo of her kitty, Tigger. Inspiration struck me like lightning & this is what I came up with!





I hope she loves it! My kiddos are so excited to give it to her that my girl isn't even sad about giving away one of mama's 'sparklies'! I'm thinking it might be a good idea to offer personalizable pendants with custom photos in my etsy shop. Custom orders are my favorite to work on...so I might just do it!

:o)

I'll report back on what the birthday girl thinks of her new gift after her party this afternoon!

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Very cool!
Yes, birthday parties can certainly be stressful when it comes to the gift! Some I know without a doubt I can do a crafty something, but others not so much and I cave and head to Target. :)

Marci said...

I totally agree I go handmade or green for birthday parties. Boys are definitely harder to do this for.

Hello there! My name is June said...

I can see where this may be harder for boys... I do plan on making my son a pirate outfit for his birthday...but he'll probably end up getting store bought gifts from everyone else.

My backup plan for birthday shopping is art supplies...paper, crayons, glue, markers, glitter, watercolors... it's something that most any young child can use...and even if they already have those items at home...they can use them eventually!

:o)