Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Dolly Donations...comforting orphans in Haiti...


I just couldn't let this rest & had to participate in the doll drive going on right now to send the cutest handmade dolls to an orphanage in Haiti. These kids could really use some comfort & handmade love.

For more info on this, you can click on the button in my sidebar to be directed to the dolly donations blog...or cut & paste this link into your browser: http://dollydonations.blogspot.com/2010/05/active-dolly-drive-free-kids-dolls-for.html

I'll see if the ladies at my church have any free time to whip up a few more. They are in more need of boy dolls than girl dolls & the deadline is fast approaching.

A little info about the craft experience. Each doll only took a couple of hours for me to make & I know they'd go by faster the more I work on.
The pattern is available for free on the dolly donations website.

The cost of materials was minimal. I bought the brown cotton for the doll's faces & arms, & found all the body & legs fabrics in the 'fat quarter' section at my local fabric store, but any fabric would do, I had the black fleece which I used on thier hair as well as the stuffing. It took not quite 2 bags of stuffing to stuff all 7 of these. I had the craft paint too, but if you didn't have anything to start with, this would easily be an under $20 project for one doll.

It was a lot of fun & I'm sure hoping each of these special friends brings a smile to a child that needs it the most. If you have a little free time & would like to try your hand at an easy & fun project, I encourage you to do so!

*oh, and please give Sarah Hanson credit for the doll pattern when folks ask about it...she is very generous to share it so freely!

Cheers!

6 comments:

giddy99 said...

they are beautiful, and will surely be loved!

Ritobear said...

I love your fabrics! Your dollies are so cute!

AlwaysInspired said...

What a wonderful thing! If I had more time I'd whip up a couple. Congrats on doing a wonderful thing and so cutely!

Sarah@Dolls And Daydreams said...

Apologies for the delay in getting your oh sew cute dollies up on the blog!

http://dollydonations.blogspot.com/2010/09/your-finished-dollies-sew-many-dolls.html

thanks so much! You're a star!

Take care and Happy Sewing!
Sarah

Dolly Donations: Sending Love 1 Dolly at a Time!

Hello there! My name is June said...

Thank you Sarah for adding them to the blog! I wasn't expecting that!
I may have to make a few more...and will send out at the end of the week. My church has some crafty ladies that would love to help as well, so we hope to have more boy dolls made for the children.

Eve said...

Hiya, June,
I saw your dolls over at Dolly Donations. I think your creations are Brilliant!

I love the beautiful fabric and goreous faces and nice puffy hair! Well done you! I have participated in the drive as well. Such a wonderful cause.
I'm not following your lovely blog. Please visit me too. Eveshouse.blogspot.com